When our credit union began on May 27, 1959 it was called the East Syracuse Teachers Association (ESTA) Employees Federal Credit Union.
By December 1959, total assets were $310.13, and there were 30 share accounts totaling $267.50. The Credit Union’s first home was in the shirt pocket of the treasurer, Bill Metz.
When the school district centralized in March 1962, the credit union’s name became the East Syracuse – Minoa School Districts Employees Federal Credit Union. In May 1962, the name was changed to ESM FCU.
During the mid 1970’s the credit union acquired a closet sized spot in the high school to conduct business. Starting in 1984, the credit union occupied a suite of offices at the high school until 1990, when we built a freestanding office at 7200 Kirkville Road in East Syracuse.
The 1996 merger of North Syracuse Federal Credit Union and ESM FCU created ESM-NS Federal Credit Union. A new state-of-the art office was built at 651 Centerville Place in North Syracuse and opened in 1998.
After 50 years of services, many member-focused changes, and strong, steady growth in our membership, in 2009 the credit union’s board of directors wanted to find a name that expressed the essence of the credit union’s mission and spirit, and changed our name to CORE Federal Credit Union. The new name and logo highlights our financial strength and stability, speaks to our mission to provide our members with a solid financial foundation with our financial literacy programs and community outreach efforts, and resonates strongly with the many schools, churches, and community organizations who we proudly serve.
Over our first 50 years, the credit union has steadily grown and experienced many changes, but the one thing that has remained constant is our CORE value….our dedication to our members.